23: Teachings on Stewardship (Lk 16:1-17:10)
Whereas the previous lesson
focuses on God’s grace, this lesson emphasizes man’s responsibilities. Although
the Pharisees were also present, Jesus spoke mainly to His disciples. The Lord
taught them to make wise use of what they have been entrusted with. He warned
those who love money the eternal consequences of abusing material possessions.
With additional teachings on forgiveness and faith, He concluded His lesson by
reminding them the correct attitude in carrying out His commands.
“No servant can serve two masters; for either he
will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and
despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon” (16:13).
“So likewise you, when you have done all those
things which you are commanded, say, ‘We are unprofitable servants. We have
done what was our duty to do’” (17:10).
Did You Know…?
Millstone (17:2): A heavy stone rotated on a
mill for crushing grain.
1. Was Jesus commending the
2. How are the sons of this world
more shrewd than the sons of light?
3. What does it mean to make
friends by unrighteous mammon (9)?
4. What does it mean to be
faithful in the least, in the unrighteous mammon, and in what is another man’s
5. What does it mean to serve
6. Why is it not possible to
serve both God and mammon?
7. How are you using your
possessions to serve God? How can you do better?
8. What does 15 teach you about
having the right values?
9. What does it mean to press
into God’s kingdom (16)?
10. Why did Jesus emphasize the
enduring effect of the law (17)?
11a. According to the Lord Jesus,
what two conditions constitute adultery (18)?
11b. How does the teaching in 18
reveal the error of the Pharisees?
12. Why did the rich man end up
13. What did you learn from this
story about riches?
14. What can we learn from 31
about man’s heart?
15. How will you live differently
after studying this parable?
16. What kind of offense is Jesus
referring to in 1-2? Why is such offense so serious?
17. What are the two steps of
dealing with someone who has sinned against you?
18. What helps you to forgive
those who sin against you?
19. What is the point of verse 6?