14: Prayer and Public Worship (1Tim 2:1-15)
Paul began the
epistle with instructions specifically for Timothy. He now proceeds with
instructions that Timothy should use in his exhortation to the believers. These
instructions concern the prayer mission of all believers and the order in
“For this is good and
acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and
to come to the knowledge of the truth” (2:3-4).
Did You Know…?
1. “For kings” (2:2): Paul wrote these words
during the reign of the cruel and wicked emperor Nero, who later put Peter and
Paul to death.
2. “Godliness” (2:2): “A key word (along with
“godly”) in the Pastorals, occurring eight times in 1 Timothy (here; 3:16;
4:7-8; 6:3,5-6,11), once in 2 Timothy (3:5) and once in Titus (1:1), but
nowhere else in the writings of Paul. It implies a good and holy life, with
special emphasis on its source, a deep reverence for God.”
3. “There is one God” (2:5): “The basic belief of
Judaism (Dt 6:4), which
every Jew confessed daily in the Shema.”
4. “Preacher” (2:7): The term, translated as
“herald” in NIV, denotes “one who with authority makes a public proclamation”
5. “Doubting” (2:8) is better translated as
“disputing” (cf. Rom 14:1; Php 2:14).
6. “Adam was not deceived” (2:14): Eve sinned
because she was deceived by the serpent. Adam sinned not because he was
deceived, but because he chose to go along with Eve’s decision even though he
knew it was against God’s command.
1. Explain the reason for the word “therefore” in
does Paul exhort the believers to do?
is the purpose for doing so?
related teachings to the above exhortation did Paul give in the epistle to the Romans
and how are these teachings relevant to us today?
3. How is the grace of God illustrated in this
4. What does verse 5 teach about the nature of
does God’s desire for all men to be saved and the sacrifice of Jesus Christ
(4-6) relate to the exhortation to pray for all men?
they relate to Paul’s mission?
6. What does the repetition of the word “all” in
this paragraph indicate?
7. What do the words “first of all” (1) suggest?
Apply this to the mission of the church today.
8. What does Paul express as his desire for the
men in church to do? Explain your answer.
9. What exhortation does Paul give to the women
concerning their apparel? How can this guideline be applied today?
does Paul teach concerning the conduct of women in the congregation?
does this teaching apply to today’s contexts?
Does this teaching belittle women?
What blessing would godly women reap, according to
How do the exhortations to both the men and the women
relate to the first paragraph (1-7)?