25: Appointment of Elders (Tit 1:1-9)
Paul begins his
letter by stating the basis of his apostleship and ministry before greeting
Titus with a benediction. His divine office has laid on him the responsibility
of overseeing the pastoral work of the church and hence the necessity of
writing this letter. The elaborate introduction serves to inform the intended
recipient the conditions qualifying him to write it. After the salutation, Paul
reminds Titus why he left him in Crete: to set
in order things that are lacking in the church. The first task at hand was to
ordain godly and responsible local leaders in the church so that they may
fortify the church by sound doctrine.
“For this reason I left you in
Crete, that you should set in order the things that are lacking, and appoint
elders in every city as I commanded you” (1:5).
Did You Know…?
1. Apostle (1:1): The word “Apostle” denotes a
messenger with emphasis on the sender. In the New Testament, the apostles were
witnesses of the resurrected Christ who had been commissioned to preach about
2. Crete (1:5) is the fourth largest island in the
Mediterranean (after Sicily, Sardinia and Cyprus)
with a length of 160 miles and width of about 30 miles. In the southern part of
the island is a small bay called Fair Havens where the ship carrying Paul took
refuge (Acts 27:8).
1. What was Paul’s office in the church?
2. What is the purpose and guiding principle of
3. What is the basis and ultimate goal of Paul’s
4. What is Paul’s point in saying that God cannot
5. How was the hope of eternal life revealed?
6. How was the word of God given to Paul?
7. How do these opening words inspire you to preach
8. What was Titus’ relationship to Paul?
9. What was the purpose of Paul leaving Titus in Crete?
qualities of an elder described in this paragraph touch on two main areas. What
11. What are the
general responsibilities of an elder? Do the elders of our church today have
the same responsibilities?
12. List the
criteria of an elder as mentioned here (7-9) and their importance.
13. An elder is
a steward of God (7). What does this job description suggest?
the criteria of an elder, how can you better equip yourself to minister in the